Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thoughts About Mid Life.


46 years of age has not been good to me! I turned 46 and sometime later had to buy bi-focals. I had to have treatments on my foot for nerve problems. My wife mistakly thought the grey in my beard was toothpaste and a lady mistaked my son as my grandson. Not good!


To top all of this off. I went to one of our new church plants the other week and I realized that I was the oldest person in the room. This was not a very comforting thought. I looked around and saw all of these younger people and realize that I was not one of the guys but rather one of those older people I used to look up to for advice. I realize MID-LIFE HAD ARRIVED!

Now I know some of you are having a chuckle over this. In a way I am too. I’m not planning on going out and buying a sports car, change my wardrobe or take up sky diving (I don’t bounce as well as I used too). I am not going to consider liposuction or a face lift. It wouldn’t help anyway

However, I am going to do something that I observed in these young people in this new church. No I am not going to pierce my ear. I got enough holes in my head. What I am going to do is renew my passion for God. Each one of these young people was hungering to learn more about God and his truths. They desired to apply those truths to their lives. I thought to myself, this is why we plant churches: being a part of seeing people come to a deep passion for God. This is what it is all about, having a passion for God and letting it be contagious to others!!

How many people we could reach if were really passionate about God and what He has done for us? I read a statement the other day. It is by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, a French pilot, writer and author of 'The Little Prince. He wrote
“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" If we want to see a movement of God in our lives, in our neighborhoods, our churches, or our convention we don’t need programs, better structures or marketing plans. We first need as believers to learn to long after deep intimacy with God!

That is my desire and the desire of all Christians: To find people who do not have that intimacy with God, send out among them a person or persons who will live out that longing for God before them and teach others to long after Him. I have come to realize that it is not a desire or passion to reach the lost that we need to plant churches or do ministry even though we should desire to reach the lost. It is when we desire God, draw closer to Him in our relationship, and then we gain His passion to see others come to know Him.

My mid-life has taught me to become young again, not physically or appearance but rather become young again by renewing my passion for the Lord. My prayer would be that all of us as would have the same mid-life awakening. Let’s Get Passionate About Our God and Who He Is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment